Friday, April 22, 2011
Five Fun Earth Day Activities
Happy Earth Day! Here is a Fun Friday post
that will keep your kids busy while celebrating our great planet:
1. Reduce: A simple way to respect the earth is to reduce the amount of electricity we use. Try doing this for at least one hour today: Turn off all the lights, unplug appliances except the refrigerator and freezer, turn off the TV, computer and all video games. Then go outside and enjoy the earth. If it's raining, no worries. Just put on your raincoat, mud boots and splash away.
2. Reuse: Make a pencil holder out of a coffee can. Take the wrap off an old, empty coffee can. Find some decorative paper, comic pages from the newspaper or design your own paper. Cut a strip of paper to fit around the can. Glue in place with a glue stick and decorate with ribbons or stickers.
3. Recycle: Do you have stacks of books and toys that you never read or that you have outgrown? Find someone that is younger than you and give them away. Another place to recycle your toys and books is at your local church.
4. Be a Trash picker: All you need is two hands, a garbage bag and some gloves. Walk to the end of your driveway, with an adult, pick up all the cans, bottles, papers and trash you can find and fill your bag. Be sure to place the trash in the proper recycling bins.
5. Visit your local dump: Do you know how much garbage your town makes? Take a ride to the dump/recycling center with your parents. Take note of the huge mountains of trash. How long do you think it will take all the trash to break down? Also take note of the recycling center. How is recycling sorted?
Have a great day. What other activities do you do to honor Earth Day?
Remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
Posted by Mom Does Reviews at 4:58 PM