Thursday, March 10, 2011

Son, can you show Grammie how to use the laptop?

Technology surrounds us and our children everyday. My 8 year-old son has been extremely well rounded in today's modern technologies. He has used computer with a mouse, a laptop with the touch pad, Nintendo DSi, Wii gaming system, and is the only one who can figure out how to use the remotes for the new TV and Blu Ray DVD player!

Growing up, we spent every free minute outside playing. We gotten threatened and grounded if we didn't come in for supper at the appointed time. Today, kids spend their free time with Computer Games, TV, on marathon gaming usage.

When my son was 4 or 5, my Mom came down and wanted to look something up on my laptop. She couldn't figure out how to make the touch pad do what she wanted. I was busy with something, so I sent her grandson over to show her the ropes. He patiently explained and demonstrated how the master the touch pad.

By the way, if you need assistance with computer dilemmas and my son isn't around to help, my sister, AKA, Ask the Computer Lady, can help.

As a parent, how much time is too much "screen" time? Do you have limits in your house? We are a very wired family. We each have our own computer, smart phones (except Justin), iPods, and 3 TVs in the house. We recently created an AOL kids email account for Justin. He is so proud of it. He sends me sweet messages while I am working. I can send him messages while he is in school and he looks forward to reading them when he gets home. I even call him and have him email me his spelling words that I ask him over the phone. (Whatever makes the spelling words more fun!)

I grew up playing outdoors, using my imagination for everything, I worried that my son would be missing out with all the technology that takes the place of running around outside. I have not had problems with Justin lacking imagination. He actually plays games that he is able to create levels on. He uses creative websites like kerpoof.com. He even shows Grammie how to use those fun websites!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...